Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The Question & The Answer

Today is the first day in 5 years that I have no answer to The Question, "where do you work?"

Yes, I have quit my job. I am.....unemployed.

(i think a moment of dramatic silence is in order)

Due to the imminent arrival of our son, and the inordinate amount of work left to do on house, multiplied by the increase of swelling and the decrease of energy, we've decided that now is as good a time as any to kick the proverbial working bucket.

So, I have done some thinking about how i will answer The Question, when it arises.
(one must always be prepared)

I'll start with UNacceptable answers:

1. I'm a stay at home mom
now, no offense to those of you who call yourselves by this label, but i have always found it accompanied by such insinuations (either imagined or real) as: "I have no interest in working." or "I live to bake homemade cookies and change diapers." or "I follow the chosen way by not working outside the home." Since none of these answers at all represents me, I will decline this title.

2. I'm a home-maker
This title also rubs me the wrong way, seeming to imply that my only talents lie within the confines of my domestic establishment. I picture buns and gingham dresses and the smell of homemade bread (which i love, by the way). In short, "making house" is by no means in my list of reasons for quitting, in fact, after the recent home renovations, i believe this title fits Trevor better. ;) ha, good luck calling him that though.


Ok, this brings me to the next category:

Acceptable answers:

In the search for an acceptable answer, I am looking for something that represents my reasons for leaving as well as my plans for the future. My main excuse, i mean reason, for leaving is that we are having a child. With the nearest family 6 hours away, if I was to continue working, that would mean that our kid would be raised by a non-family member who we would have to pay. Now, that said, I do have other reasons for leaving. Second would be my desire to spend more time getting my painting "career" off the ground. I hope to be able to spend more time painting, and exploring places/people to sell my art. On top of these 2 goals, I will also be doing some sporadic freelance work. So, I am searching for an appropriate title that sums up these reasons, goals and philosophy. Here is what I have....so far.

1. Freelance Artist
this sums up the painting and design aspects while still insinuating that I'm at home.

2. Trophy Wife
Come on, that's just funny. And really, it implies that i do whatever I want with my time, and look great doing it. That just might sum it up the best. (ha!)

This concludes my dissertation on my current unemployed status.

6 comments:

Becky Swann said...

Oh you may not think so but you are workin sister (cousin)! You are making a human!
I'm so glad you are taking this time to adjusting to being at home first rather than adjusting to being at home and having a newborn. It will make the transition easier. And if anyone gives you grief for being a mom that stays at home you send them to me, because this is the most full time job anyone could have. And the best job you will ever do! The hours are rough and the pay is crap but the benefits are amazing:) You will be an amazing Trophy wife!

Ginnie said...

What name could we give to this most important task we do Briana? You are right..."homemaker" and "housewife" have ruled for years.

I have come up with names over the years trying to cover the multifaceted job that motherhood entails...don't think they would win any contests though.

You are creative...let's see what you come up with.

megan said...

creative director of child development/freelance artist sounds about right to me

Briana said...

i like that megan. plus it's a mouthfull which sounds uber-impressive. ;)

DeeDee said...

two more options:
1) domestic engineer
2) progenitorial director

heather smith said...

LOVE this post :) Very nice. And completely understandable. I shall not refer to you as a stay at home mom. Nor shall you refer to me as such :)