Thursday, March 27, 2008

"No, it's a NEW one!" & Blogstalking

Here's the latest from last night. It has a purple people-eating sister but upon further contemplation i have decided that she is too evil to appear out in public yet. Stay tuned, we'll see if she can be saved. In the mean time chew on this. (No, Bethany, not literally).





p.s Blog stalkers mystify me. I wonder if these are the people (ahem, Bethany) who would become "peeping Toms"** if they knew that they wouldn't get caught.
One theory is that these people are the ones who will go through your drawers and closets when you are not at home, they like to snoop but don't want to get caught. Another theory is that they assume that if there is a link on your blog to other blogs, then that invites them into their world as well. Interesting theory.
So is the purpose of a link on my blog an offering to share that friendship with my other friends? Interesting indeed.
It seems that Blog World provides us with a "no risk" opporitunity to explore the lives of people we don't know. Though it ends up being a bit like reading a letter that was written for someone else. Maybe it is just networking opporitunites that people can't resist. Although I tend to belive it is closer to the Peeping Tom** scenario.
**Peeping Tom is actual legal verbage: A "peeping tom" is usually a voyeur, one who gets pleasure, from secretly watching others.
The term comes from Peeping Tom of Coventry, England, who was the only person to see Lady Godiva naked as she rode her legendary horse through town, in an attempt to get her husband to lower taxes. The townspeople had been asked to close their shutters, but Tom did not, and caught a glimpse of her.
"Peeping Tom" laws are often contained within loitering, disturbing the peace or criminal surveillance laws. A person commits the crime of criminal surveillance if he or she intentionally engages in surveillance while trespassing in a private place. Surveillance is generally defined as the secret observation of the activities of another person for the purpose of spying on them and invading their privacy. It also applies to a person who peeps through windows or doors.
These laws can be subject to challenges on the grounds that they are unconstitutionally vague. In may places, they are municipal ordinance violations, rather than felonies or even misdemeanors. If you have been charged with this crime, you should consult with an experienced defense attorney in your jurisdiction who can explain the particulars of your state or city law, and evaluate any defenses you might have.

3 comments:

T and B Rowe said...

Why do you mention my name??? :)

Becky Swann said...

you are on a painting theme I see... one color + plant = theme
as for blog stalkers does is count it you sign it? I have indeed stalked ALOT, but in return I do not mind if people stalk mine, it's a give and take if you will, I don't mind the peeping toms as long as I get to be a peeping Tim.
And yes I will go through your drawers:)

Jennifer Hambrick said...

hmmm...my opinion on blog stalkers:

I'd have to fall on the "it doesn't bother me" side of the fence. Anything written online IS pretty much accessible to anyone in the public, unlike a letter or personal journal...you'd have to literally snoop to find it. Becky, if you ever come to my house, I keep them in the 2nd drawer on the left =) There are private-by-invitation-only blogs that only members can read and post on for those who truly want to retain blog-privacy. (I think that is a good new word). Anyways...just my 3 cents.