Saturday, March 17, 2012

Grandaddy

Today would have been my Grandaddy's 94th birthday. St. Patricks Day. I figured that makes it a good day for looking back and remembering the man he was, to me.

Be thankful in all things.

This is one of the last messages that Grandaddy shared with us as a family. He had been spending a lot of his time lately studying the bible and that was the message that God had impressed on him. In true Grandaddy style he imparted this message through an elaborate game. One thing Grandaddy never was, was boring.

His legacy to us includes such values as hard work, creativity, adventure, far-fetched goals, appreciation of the the often missed wonders in life, having fun, laughter, character, honor, and over all, a strong foundation and never-ending seeking after God.

He was a dreamer. He was opinionated. He was an adventurer. He loved searching for the best deals. He forged his own path. He followed his conscious. He wanted the best for those he loved. He enjoyed life. He loved God. He loved his family. He was faithful.

Man, I miss him. But, in true Grandaddy style, I will chose to be thankful. Thankful for the wonderful memories, thankful for the great example he was. Thankful that he is no longer limited by an aging body, but instead in the company of his Lord and Savior. Thankful that death is not the end. And so thankful to God for giving me him as a Grandaddy.

I love him.






1 comment:

Doug said...

Briana, I am thankful that you took time to remember and have such good memories of Dad. He was a big part of who we are as a family. He made progress by God's Grace. And you are going forward from where he left off. He would be thankful and proud of you for that.