Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Terrifying Tennessee Tornado

Perhaps, i should start with a myth: tornadoes to do not touch down on mountains.

Last Wednesday at 8:55am multiple tornadoes touched down on Lookout Mountain and the Chattanooga Valley. I was brushing my teeth and Rye was playing in his bed when i noticed the wind was really picking up. Then the rain started blowing sideways (I'm talking horizontal) and the sky got black. Then I heard what sounded like a train, coming for the house. Since my friend Heidi is from Texas (and has more experience with tornadoes than me), i remember her saying, "if it sounds like a train is coming towards your house, take immediate cover." So, I grabbed Rye and my phone and we went and hid in the laundry room and art room. I was pretty freaked out.

Although this is not my first time dealing with this sort of thing...it was really pretty scary. I could hear trees snapping and the sky was full of debris flying everywhere. Pretty creepy indeed. Rye and the dogs were fine, Mia was napping and Rye was asking for his cars.

After it passed one of the trees had snapped and fallen towards the house, landing about 3 feet short (photo below). However there was massive damage to our neighborhood and about 4 houses had massive trees through the center of them. It was pretty humbling to see all the destruction and see what God spared us from.

Throughout the day over 30 tornadoes hit the area, killing over 300 and causing incredible damage.
(this is a video James Ward -worship leader at our church-did showing footage of the damage)

Here's a shot of one of them on Lookout Mountain
the tree that fell towards our house
A picture from the news...this is at the end of Everett (about 1/2 mile from our house)

Here is the house that I used to live in on Alabama Ave, in St Elmo (about 1.5 mile from our current house)
another angle
Here's a picture of Rye and I eating pizza in the laundry room...as you can see, he was unfazed by the whole experience.
We were without power for 4 days and without water for a day, which comparatively isn't really even worth mentioning. We mooched off of some friends, stocked the freezer with dry ice and waited it out. There were over 120,000 without power and 20,000 are still without it. Ok, well i think that about sums up our last week. We are so thankful for God's protection and would appreciate your prayers for all of those in the area that are devastated by this disaster.

3 comments:

Carrie said...

So glad that you guys are alright- crazy to see the old house you used to live in destroyed. We will be praying.

Becky Swann said...

GOODNESS GRACIOUS! That is wild stuff Briana, SOO glad you guys are ok

side note: how did I not know that you go to James Ward's church, I grew up listening to my parents records of his!

Briana said...

how did i not know that you grew up listening to him either?! Weird.