Wednesday, August 11, 2010

"Normal"

The other day a friend of mine, who I don't see very often, asked how i was liking being a stay-at-home mom (obviously she had not read this). Anyway...I was thinking about the past almost 10 months (holy cow) and reflecting on my new "normal".

Honestly things have not felt "normal" in about 1.5 years. For real. First there was "get used to being pregnant/we're gonna have a baby" normal, then there was "I want to die i feel so bad" normal, then "i'm as big as a house" normal, then "quit my job" normal.

Then Rye was born. There was nothing normal about that.

Then we moved into "i'm so tired, i can't believe i have a baby" normal. Finally we got that under control and then Trevor left for Japan so we moved into "Single mom" normal. Then Trev got back and immediately started working at TN Rand in his "spare" time, I'll call that "almost like single mom" normal. Now we are back from vacation, Trev has dropped the extra work and we are adjusting to the new "i don't have a name for it yet" normal.

I'm finally realizing what over 1/2 of you are thinking to yourself now.

Kids=constant change=never normal.

Those of you know i'm not so good with change, unless i initiate it and then still, it's hard for me. So....things are good, things are under control, i feel like i have a handle on this whole being a mom thing (as much as you can, i guess). I'm able to freelance and paint and still do all those "stay at home" mom things...so i guess that's pretty good. It feels pretty good at least. Course today Rye decided that he didn't want his morning nap for the first time....ever. He's also begun scooting around the room. Yet again, the times, they are a changing.

3 comments:

Becky Swann said...

I have never been normal. You knew that already. But I have always welcomed change and get bored with the same old thing, Change makes things better most of the time in the mom world. You are doing a great job rolling with it!
hmmm other than obvious things about being a stay at home mom...
- I like not having anybody tell me what I have to do, at least not anybody I have to listen too:)
-I like the idea that each day we can do something different and whatever we want, as long as I keep her alive haha

Missy said...

Yes, change becomes your "normal" when you got kids. That is a sure thing. The one thing I'm learning through this whole process of motherhood is when you just think you got it all under control and you get a little "cocky", life/ or more specifically "children" throw you another curve ball. I guess one of the good things about it all is the fact that it keeps you humble and yet curious! (not quite sure as to how the day may unfold) Becky has a good point though that being a stay at home mom gives you tons of freedom that others dont have during the day!

Jennifer Hambrick said...

yeah, i agree...there is just no learning curve with motherhood. always a new stage, new age, new sibling, and on and on. someone once told me that each new stage never gets easier...just different. as ella hits kindergarten this fall i have to agree. some things about her are so much easier (she can wipe her own bottom now!) and then again, some new things are hard (she has learned to talk back).

anyways...i'm rambling.

you seem to be handling all the changes with grace... (and for what it's worth)i am very proud of you.