Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Pictures and thoughts from the hospital

More pictures are on Heather's Blog. Check them out if you need a Rye fix (you know who you are).

Here's a brief recap of the whole birth labor experience. Ok, maybe a couple quick thoughts would be a better description. There's no way to capture the whole experience...

- Thursday October 22nd 8:30am first contraction
- 8:45am my water broke (I remember thinking, what?! this isn't supposed to happen, what am I on TV?! (those things only happen on TV/movies right?)...everyone told me only about 15% of mom's water breaks before they go into labor...lucky me)
-8:50am called Trev who came home
-8:55am called Emily to give her a heads up (she was my labor coach with Trev) she thought i said that the water broke in the house and it wasn't until Trev called her later that she realized that MY water broke :)
-9:00am called the doctor to tell them my water broke. Apparently they didn't believe me either so they wanted me to come in and get checked.
-10:00am packed and ready to go to the doctor to get checked. Now my contractions are pretty intense and about 3-4 minutes apart.
-10:15am I call the doctor to suggest that maybe we should go to the hospital instead since the contractions are every 3 minutes and pretty intense. They immediately agreed.
-10:30am we get checked into the hospital and the real intense back labor begins. They check me, I'm almost 6cm. Everyone goes into "holy cow this could be a fast one" mode. I'm excited because this means i get my epidural soon. :)
-11:00am we get the last room (apparently a popular day for giving birth) and I get my ever so much appreciated epidural. Thank you for modern medicine!
-11:30am Feeling good! Amazing how much better I feel, still having really intense contractions but feeling so good, so very good.
-2:30ish pm 10cm! it's go time... the pushing begins
-4:39 pm Rye Caedmon is born!!

It's funny because around 8:15 that morning I remember thinking, wouldn't it be wonderful to go into labor after a great night sleep...thank you Jesus, less then 8 hours my sweet baby was born.

p.s. I give credit for the fast labor to drinking raspberry tea. A couple different people told me that drinking raspberry tea (hot or cold) makes your labor faster and easier and, well there you have it. I highly recommend it.

3 comments:

emily rhudy said...

you really were amazing, im still in awe! one tough cookie!

Carrie said...

Wow! Quick labor for a first timer. Trev may have to deliver the next one at home, tell him to start preparing now....I am also impressed at the 6 cm before an epidural! Praise the Lord for a quick and safe delivery!

Becky Swann said...

Sounds good to me, next time I shall request the raspberry tea labor:)
It is a huge blessing that you did that all during the day after a good nights sleep, and one day you will have another one of those again:) I will pray that that will come fast too!
Well off to heather's blog because I know who I am!