Monday, June 1, 2009

what you can do for me

you like the title? nice and to the point eh? ok, well i need some help, some 'i-have-no-idea-what-i'm-doing' help.

Here's my list, but obviously, as i've just stated if i've left something off it's because i don't even know to put it on here so please feel free to add whatever else comes to mind. As previously discussed, i'll disregard anything i'm not interested in. Sounds fun, right? sure, sure...

p.s. if you are not a mom please feel free to answer these questions, drawing from either the knowledge you have gleaned from others, or your hilariously creative mind. Basically go for helpful or entertaining. and i really hope Megan answers these. should be fun. ok, and.....go!

Things Briana needs to know:

1. what is the #1 baby book you would recommend and why?

2. What is your opinion about what kind of stroller(s) to get and why?

3. Ditto regarding carseats and pacifiers and (insert item i am forgetting here).

4.What is the one thing you wish you knew before the baby came (either to get done or to keep in mind once they're here or whatever else).

5. What am i totally forgetting and have no idea to even think about?*


*mind reading skills come in handy for this one.
**why are their always 5 things on my lists?

ok thanks everyone for playing and mom and Aunt Ginnie feel free to answer too, maybe you already did feel free but if not, please do now. :)

ok love everyone
(for some reason i wanted to say that at this point. yea, not sure why)

13 comments:

Jennifer Hambrick said...

...so i started to leave a comment and realized it would go into the Guinness book of world records for longest comments ever and just sent you an email instead =)

i know your excited...go and check your inbox =)

Becky Swann said...

1. I did not read a thing. My rule was if I was worried about something I looked it up. Otherwise I decided not to read and read and have needless worry. It has worked well for me so far.
2. If I had to do it all over again, I wish I had gotten my BOB jogging stroller in the begining, I had a Graco with the carseat that fit in it, but I didn't know that Bob's had the option of putting the carseat in it, if I had known it would have saved me the trouble of getting two strollers, this is good especially if you plan on running! They are a little pricey but WAY WORTH IT! my stroller is my freedom!
3. I hate pacifiers,
This book is a great source for finding the safest, cheapest products with ratings and even where you can purchase the items.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/babybargains/ so I did use this book to contridict myself a little. It's great for knowing important facts about things like which crib mattress is good? who knows that stuff anyway! they have that book at baby's r us, so even if you only wanted to look up just one thing you could go look in the book at the store and not even buy the book!
4. If you are a boy stop reading, You can rent breast pumps from the hospital, if you can borrow from a friend (what I did) even better, use the ladys at your brestfeeding center they are an excellent free resourse!
5. if you would like a copy of everything I registered for I could give you one, I think it might still be up online?

PS In the end, trust your instincts, do what YOU think is best, it's YOUR baby and I have complete faith that you will do an excellent job and discover all the knowledge that God has already ingrained in you to be the best MOM to your baby!
The end :)

Naomi said...

We got a Chicco travel system. Which we love. But, now that we are looking for a double stroller we are having a hard time finding ones that it will fit in. So, you may want to just stick with the gracos or other well known brands. I did love my Bundle Me since Madeline was born in the winter and your's will be too. It is easier than blankets and really soft too. You can just google it. Also, we went through lots of pacifiers before we found the one that Madeline liked. She actually liked a bigger size than just the newborn ones. Something to think about. They can be a big pain in the beginning because you have to keep putting it back in their mouths in the middle of the night. But, some babies have a huge need to suck and it is a life saver then. That's my two cents for now :)

KT said...

1. what is the #1 baby book you would recommend and why? well i'd recommend reading chick lit in general, the classics, and of course the baby sitter's club series as we all know babysitters know more about raising kids than most and there are about 115 of them so that should keep you busy. Absolutely don't watch movies like juno, knocked up, baby mama, etc and especially don't watch the tlc show baby story -it's just plain gross. medical dramas in general should probably be avoided during this time to keep your prego brain from worry.

2. What is your opinion about what kind of stroller(s) to get and why?
it's important with any child equipment purchase that it be a: in primary colors or have babylike patterns in things you'd never normally pickout:) and b: be really difficult to fold up and/or make it impossible to put anything else in the trunk.

5. what you didn't think of is find a mom who's already figured it all out and keeps really detailed lists and get all her ideas, change them slightly and make them your own so you can go back to watching movies, reading, making crafts and painting:)

Carrie said...

Disclaimer: Every baby is different...but here is what my kids loved.
Swaddling save my life. My kids loved to be swaddled tightly. When babies are really little they are spastic and will often hit themselves in the face while they are sleeping, causing them to wake up. The first night home from the hospital with the boys they did not sleep because I did not have them swaddled. Thankfully my sister came over the next day and suggested swaddling them. You would think that I would have the common sense to try that...but common sense went out the window for me when the kids were born. Swaddling can be hard to do because most receiving blankets are not big enough to keep them tightly swaddled. One of my best gifts were two 44x44 blankets that I used to swaddle the boys.
The second most important thing that I did was read a book called "Healthy sleep habits happy baby." I swear by this book. This is how I survived twins. It teaches you how to get your baby on a sleep schedule and it gives you the confidence to do it. Other women in my church used Babywise....I have heard that this is just as good at getting kids on a schedule.
Strollers, carseats, other baby equipment...I would just read reviews from Babiesrus or Target.
Its great that you are trying to gather information now, because its much harder to do when you are sleep deprived.

Carrie said...

Disclaimer: Every baby is different...but here is what my kids loved.
Swaddling saved my life. My kids loved to be swaddled tightly. When babies are really little they are spastic and will often hit themselves in the face while they are sleeping, causing them to wake up. The first night home from the hospital with the boys they did not sleep because I did not have them swaddled. Thankfully my sister came over the next day and suggested swaddling them. You would think that I would have the common sense to try that...but common sense went out the window for me when the kids were born. Swaddling can be hard to do because most receiving blankets are not big enough to keep them tightly swaddled. One of my best gifts were two 44x44 blankets that I used to swaddle the boys.
The second most important thing that I did was read a book called "Healthy sleep habits happy baby." I swear by this book. This is how I survived twins. It teaches you how to get your baby on a sleep schedule and it gives you the confidence to do it. Other women in my church used Babywise....I have heard that this is just as good at getting kids on a schedule.
Strollers, carseats, other baby equipment...I would just read reviews from Babiesrus or Target.
Its great that you are trying to gather information now, because its much harder to do when you are sleep deprived.

Carrie said...

I am obviously still working on the common sense, sorry it posted twice....

Becky Swann said...

I am with Carrie on the Swaddling,and on her disclaimer. I had some ready-made swaddles because I think I'm not smart enough to figure out the blankets, they have velcro! they are also at baby's r us.
I think that Katie's idea of thebabysitters club books is a great idea too:)

Briana said...

thanks guys keep em coming. i especially liked how Katie restated the question before answering. very thoughtful. loved it. :)

roadrunner201 said...

Briana, I highly recommend reading "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth" and, if you can stomach all the birth photos, "Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way." Even if you do not plan a natural child birth, these are chock full of really great birth information.

I really think you should go with what ever baby gear that you like the most. (Do you know about the consignment sale this month at Camp Jordan? jbfsale.com.) People love and hate things for many different reasons.

The Arms Reach Co-sleeper was super helpful because it kept baby out of my bed, but just in arms reach. I wasn't constantly having to get up and down to get the boy. This was extremely helpful for those nights when he was waking up every 45 minutes before we knew he had acid reflux (quite common in infants).

Also, if you plan to breast feed, just know that it is REALLY hard for the first 4-6 weeks, then all of a sudden, you will notice that it is really easy because you have both found your niche. Try not to give up in the first two months. Even when you feel like you have had a baby attached to you all day long. It gets better.

Best wishes and contact me anytime because I have quite the birth library since I am studying to be a birth instructor. If I don't know the answer, I bet I know someone who does!

Lisa (Franceschini)Roerdink

megan said...

a direct shout out in the blog?? how flattering. seeing as there is some anticipation to this response, i've put some thought into it. upon reflection, i realized that i had the perfect advice from a great mom we both now and love, rex. he filled out a stroller survey for me that i sent out during my advanced product design class. here is his response:

1. Caregiver demographics: Age: 23 Gender: male

2. About how much did you spend on your stroller?

$235.67

3. How often do you use your stroller?

Daily

4. Where do you use your stroller ?

Everywhere! At home, in the park, at the doctors office, in my bedroom, in the bathroom, in the car, while swimming, and while talking on the phone! It's the perfect multi-tool! And I'm so excited! As you can tell from my exclamation marks!

5. What activities are performed while strolling?

Everything! Swimming, eating, biking, running, pooping, walking, having sex, making out, making up, going out, going home, dancing, sweating, sneaking, sleeping, drinking, spying, dying, flying, etc.

6. What do you carry while strolling?

Everything! Water bottles, snacks (usually cheerios and life for the little tykes, sometimes whiskey for me), change of clothes, diapers, wet wipes, disinfectant spray, toilet seats, and even bikes!

7. What is your largest upset with strollers?

Upset as in wipeout or upset as in frustration? My greatest wipeout was about 2 1/2 weeks ago when I was wheeling my kid down this gnarly hill, probably hit close to 30 mph, or 48 kph for you euro trash, when the front left wheel popped off and caused some sick road rash. incidentally, that is also my biggest frustration, wheels coming off...

8. What do you enjoy most about your stroller?

Cruising the town and picking up hot babes with my sweet stroller rims. Oh, and the automatic composter for "when you just can't wait".

9. Is there anything you would add to your stroller?

GPS baby. Kids are becoming more and more technologically adept, and GPS is the future. That way when I am hiking in my stroller, I'll know exactly where I am. That, and a mommy leash, cause they love to leave for no reason...

10. Where do you store your stroller?

Store it? I park it in front of my house so everyone can be jealous!

11. Do you attach toys to the stroller; if so, where?

Typically the undercarriage, but that's just the most convenient since I got the frame lift for it a couple of weeks back. Also hanging in front of the kids face, so they don't cry and moan and complain all the time...

Briana said...

wow.

and thank you.

emily rhudy said...

ok so books, the breast feeding book by dr sears was great! i have it and will lend it to you,also i have a blue fleece swaddler that is super that you can have and there is a book called vaccine alterniatives by dr ervin davis that is very helpful in making vaccine decisions, i have that too.also, i have the really nice medela breast pump that i think you can use, so basically i have it all and you need me.