Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Renovation Station

Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to renovation station.

The problem: the floor is falling in in the kitchen/dining room

The solution: replace everything. yes, everything.

Step one: take out the door and windows in the kitchen. Frame, insulate and brick up the wall.

Before:

After: (as of now)

Step Two: Remove dividing wall between the kitchen and the living room.

Before: (p.s. our love seat used to be on this wall)

After: (as of now)


Step Three: Raise annoyingly low support beam above the stairs.
(sorry no before picture)

After:


Step Four: Build support beam in the attic to hold most of the weight that was taken out of the wall. Also pictures is the OSB that Trev laid in the attic for better maneuverability.


Here is a VERY rough sketch of the new plan for the kitchen---
things to note:
- There will be an "L" shaped island where the dividing wall used to be thus creating a new open floor layout.
-Oven is going roughly where the sink was in the old layout.
- Fridge is going roughly where the door to the outside was.
- Sink and dishwasher and pull out hidden trash will be in the new island (where the old fridge/pantry and oven were)
- The new pantry will be twice as big as the old one
- The cabinets will be floor to ceiling
p.s. I'm sure this would be much much better if Trev had drawn it but as you know, he refuses to contribute or even comment on the blog. sigh. However it is worth noting and celebrating and rejoicing and praising the fact that he has done all of the renovation by himself (with some much appreciated help from willing friends). He is my darling handy man. I told our son that he should be helping his father but he apparently timed his arrival to occur AFTER the completion of the kitchen. Convenient....

3 comments:

DeeDee said...

WOW...that is quite the "bare bones", fantastic job Trevor....and with no complaining about the living conditions...I am so proud of both of you!

Carrie said...

Very cool...but also kind of scary to have things temporarily torn up. I am sure that it will look awesome when its done. Congrats on the boy! So excited for you both!

Jennifer Hambrick said...

I can't say I envy you right now...I remember that stage! Just keep reminding yourself of the end product here =)

Keep posting pictures of the progress!