Wednesday, May 6, 2009

make it go away

alright, i'm already very tired of seeing that disgusting picture on my blog. aaaah posting regret, it's a terrible thing.

Ok, well here is a call-out post of all you experienced mommas out there. I will call it.....

THINGS I WANT TO KNOW--CLOTHES:

a) what are you supposed to do when none of your pants fit?
The supposed answer is to buy maternity pants right? ok, well none of the maternity pants fit (due either to being incredibly uncomfortable--see item b, or making you look and feel gigantic). Seriously. I have worn the same pair of pants (drawstring top) to work for the past 3 days. I went to Target last night to try to find any pants that would fit. Tried on like 345 and none worked. I did get this great skirt/dress thing that i'm currently wearing but, yea this is a problem.

b) what is with the gigantic elastic band on maternity pants?
Seriously! is that comfortable on anyone? I'm still in the " i want absolutely nothing even thinking about putting any pressure on my stomach" stage. Does that last forever? I couldn't even try on those stupid pants with the panels or whatever ungodly name they've given them. Yuck! Seriously, what's that about?!

c) bathing suits--what to do?
Now that i have 2 very exciting beach trips to look forward to this summer, i'm already worried about the bathing suit situation. I refuse to wear a pup-tent to the beach but i also don't want to look like a beached whale --is there ANY way to avoid that? not sure ;) I've been recommended to just buy a bigger regular bathing suit top (don't get me started on that!) and then some maternity bottoms (with extra belly room). I'm leaning more toward that option then the pup-tent suits for those modest pregnant women (you like the insinuation there? ;) but still wary of the beached whale look. Any ideas? Tips? Thoughts? Judgements?

Anything else you knowledgeable gals want to share regarding the comfort-fashion war I'm starting here would be much appreciated. Don't worry, I'll feel free to disregard anything I don't like. ;)

5 comments:

Carrie said...

Bri- they have these great things called belly bands, it's helpful for those awkward in-between stages. It's basically a glorified tube top (for lack of a better way to describe it) that sits on your waist. It allows you to keep wearing your normal clothes for a few more weeks....once you get a little bigger maternity clothes will fit you better. You can find belly bands at Target, Babysrus, etc. I searched Be Band at target.com and found them. They have pictures that will explain what I am trying to say.
As far as elastic waists go...they stink, especially in the summer because it is so hot already. I was able to find some things that fit below the waist, but the bigger you get the more you will feel like your pants are falling down. Totally understand now why old men with bellies wear suspenders.
Maternity clothes are a necessity, but it's can be hard to find cute things. Perhaps you could begin designing chic maternity clothes in your spare time! Old Navy has some cute stuff, but you may have to buy on-line.
Good luck with the swim suit...mine had a skirt on it...very granny-like...and honestly I did look like I was wearing a pup tent. This too shall pass....

Briana said...

yea, seen the belly bands, but again, tight on the tummy = ain't gonna wear it.

i like the suspender idea though ;) heheheee

Carrie said...

Oh yeah...sorry I never wore them..but I had a friend that recommended them. I didn't really have an awkward stage where nothing fit...with twins I just got big and stayed that way for 9 months. I know that they do make low rise pants/shorts. They are just not very popular. Good luck!

Jennifer Hambrick said...

Get ready for the longest comment ever:

Have you tried the rubber band trick yet? Link a hair band or rubber band through the button hole on your pants and loop it back over to hook on the button. As long as your shirts are long enough to cover that whole area it allows your normal pants to have some "give" before you make the leap to maternity wear. I did it a lot right at the stage you are in...really an awful stage clothing wise. You really don't look pregnant yet...and know everyone is just wondering hmmm...is she pregnant or just getting chubby? And maternity clothes are a joke at this stage...but your normal clothes are getting too snug to be comfortable. sigh. i remember those days well =)

anyways...try the rubber band trick and see if it works for you.

no advice for the band thingie they put on all maternity pants...other than to say my favorite maternity pants were the gap long and lean ones. they seemed better designed than most. just get used to feeling like your pants are going to fall off of you and don't let any cold pennies get close to Trevor when you bend over. the temptation is too much for them =)

onto the bathing suit. since i wasn't super huge with ella during the summer i was pregnant with her (i was due in Dec with her) i just wore all my normal 2 piece suits. i didn't mind my belly sticking out. actually it was kind of relieving not to have to worry about holding it in =)
i was a lot bigger during the summer with Ezra and actually invested in a maternity suit with him. it was pretty cute and not too pup-tenty as if fit close to the body. i think i found it at Target? definitely no skirt though. no way to avoid the pup tent look with a skirt.

feel free to disregard all of this. oh wait, you already mentioned that you would. good. now i won't worry that you feel obligated to listen to me =)

Becky Swann said...

Briana you are welcome to any of my maternity clothes when you come visit if you want, I know we have opposite time of year pregnancies and you are tinier, but I have some dresses that might just work, the good thing about summer pregnancy is that you can just wear dresses, that is something I longed for because they were way to cold in the winter, and who can wear tights? barf-o
I am way with you on the anything touching your belly, I was so uncomfortable the whole first trimester because of that, but I'm pretty sure that eased up alot into the second trimester.
Also some maternity pants just have elastic in the back, Gap maternity has alot of those and adjustable elastic with button holes so you can wear them the whole time.
There is my big paragraph.