Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Practical Theology

It sometimes happens that as you progress in life your world view and "conceptual framework" (ahem, Covenant) evolve based on your experiences. This has happened to me most recently through the experience that is parenthood. Allow me to explain. Up until this point i have coincided with the commonly held teaching on original sin. The short definition is that original sin is sin that we are all born with as a result of the fall of Adam. The doctrine states that this sin is present at birth. However, experience is showing me otherwise.

As it happens, original sin is something that miraculously appears around the 9th month of life. No, it's true. I have evidence. Let me summarize: up until recently I have had, what can only be described as a perfect little angel (ahem). This darling child has worshiped the ground his parents walk on. He behaves like "baby un-real" and is constantly impressing us and our friends with his good-natured-ness. Now, recently this darling pumpkin of love has turned 9 months old. Since this event he has slowly been the recipient of what I can only refer to as, original sin. What else could possibly explain him hitting his mom, screaming at his dad, laughing at attempts to punish him and dare i call it, rebellion of his parents wishes. There is no other answer, the devil made him do it.

Case in point. Rye has been eating in his highchair for the past, oh 4 months now. He wears his bib, eats his food and coos with delight. Until, he realized that he can take his bib off by himself, whenever he wants. Now he will look his mother in the eye, slowly raise his hand to his chest and rip his bib off his neck. Then, looking back to make sure i'm watching, he will slowly hold his bib out over his high chair and then release it onto the floor. Then he will lean way over his high chair to stare at his bib on the floor, reveling in the glory that is, disobedience.

Now that I have presented my case i think you will find that there is no other solution other than the handiwork of the devil. Original sin.

I rest my case.

p.s. ok, i have not altered any theologically sound doctrines to fit my sons..."maturing" but i think it is a valid point none the less.

4 comments:

Naomi said...

Oliver is certainly showing us his little, but strong will, now at 9 months. Boy does he have a temper. What is it with these 9 month olds?

Heidi said...

:) That's all I can do is smile. You have soo much more to come! :)

Aunt Ginnie said...

Dear Briana....God's grace IS sufficient for you and adorable little Rye :)
love you and can't wait to see you next week!

Carrie said...

Sorry to hear that- perhaps because I had two it showed up sooner than 9 months. May I suggest a good discipline book- Don't make me count to three- ginger plowman. It's like shepherding a child's heart but more practical concrete examples...good luck!