Friday, December 18, 2009

Milk: Does this body bad.

Well we had Rye's checkup this week.

The good news: He's in the 50% percentile for both weight and height.

The bad news: He's allergic to dairy. Which, we learned is different from being lactose intolerant. He's allergic to the proteins in milk which means his body thinks they are evil invaders and creates antibodies to attack and destroy. Which also reeks havoc on his system causing a painful belly, stuffy nose, red eyes, and blood in his poop. :(

So...since we are breastfeeding, that means that I am no longer able to have anything that comes within a 50 mile radius of milk. So, just in time for Christmas I am saying goodbye to cookies, cakes, butter, cheese, milk, sour cream, cream cheese and everything that you might put that in. Such as: lots of breads, processed meats, crackers, and all sorts of yummy goodness.

You can imagine how i feel about this. But, after Rye went through a 3-hour all out inconsolable crying spell last night after I accidentally ate some spaghetti sauce that had some alfredo mixed in...I am motivated to keep my poor innocent baby from pain and suffering. So for the next year (or until we stop breastfeeding) I will be dairy free. Hopefully this will speed the removal of my baby fat--which is the only upside I'm seeing at this point. Anyway, that's our news.


If anyone knows of any non-dairy recipes, I'm suddenly very interested in those.

So I'm saying goodbye to this:
But this is my motivation:

4 comments:

Beth Simmons said...

I'm sorry you have to do this Brianna:( You may want to get in touch with Naomi. She had the very same thing with Madeline. I think she was able to have dairy again around 9 months but you'd have to check with her to be sure. Now Madeline has no problem with milk.

Naomi said...

Tis true... Madeline had blood in her stool around 1 month so I went off dairy and it fixed the problem. So, I was off dairy for the next 8 months when she was finally able to digest the protein. (Now she drinks milk like it's her job) I found lots of dairy substitutes. There are lots of soy products and Tofutti makes lots of things like sour cream and cream cheese. I believe if you find a product that says "parve" on it, then it is dairy free. It has something to do with being kosher. It definitely stinks to have this happen right before Christmas. But, it is certainly worth it if it makes him feel so bad. I haven't seen any signs of Oliver having this problem. So, hopefully your next child won't have the same issue. Sorry about this.

Becky Swann said...

Oh little Rye! And little you! this stinks but I'm glad you were able to figure out what the problem was!
I'm glad Naomi was here to offer her sage wisdom!

Summey Life said...

Okay...it's not as bad as you think. Try to be completely dairy free for a good six weeks or so but then you can try things that have been baked. If the the cheese/milk has been in the oven for long enough the heat breaks down the proteins so he shouldn't have any problems. I have been able to eat cookies, cake and pizza! I even had some lasagna last night. O and oreos don't have milk in them either. Don't bother with the fake cheeses either...they're gross. OOO and there is a chocolate bar at Greenlife from the Enjoy Life brand that doesn't have milk in either. O my gosh they are soooo good. They are rather pricey but when I would get really depressed about not being able to eat anything yummy Shawn would get me one and I would eat a square a day. Anyway, you can do it. He's totally worth it. Good luck and let me know if I can help with anything. P.S Smart Balance Light is the only butter that is completely dairy free. Sarah